Public Shares

Mac dmccann at nibsc.ac.uk
Thu Jul 2 10:33:16 GMT 1998

>    I have a public share on my samba server named "Public" as follows:

Are you running is 'security=user' mode by any chance?

>    What I want to do ideally is simply give anyone access to this share
>with absolutely no password.(readonly)...

Ahh.  Guest Access.  As Andrew once patiently explained (and I've since
lost the document), you really need to have two servers when using
'security=user' in order for guest and non-guest access to work.

However,  have a look at the _compile_ time paramter GUESTSESSETUP (or
somesuch) and I thin kyou'll find that setting it to '1' or '2' may give
you the behaviour you desire (albeit at a slight cost, which I can't
recall).

	Best of luck,

                               Mac
          Assistant Systems Adminstrator @nibsc.ac.uk
                        dmccann at nibsc.ac.uk
   Work: +44 1707 654753 x 285     Everything else: +44 956 237670 (anytime)