Samba Printing

Renaud Waldura rwaldura at LIGOS.COM
Wed Jul 1 21:49:24 GMT 1998

Just one more thing on this topic: someone mentionned using the HP
JetDirect. New versions feature a variable "banner" (editable via telnet)
that does precisely that, include a banner or not for every print job.

Eg. here I disabled it on an HP LaserJet + HP JetDirect (firmware A.05.05),
and with one single queue we print correctly from both Unix and Windows!
YMMV.

I also discovered the one-connection limit of the JetDirect. :(

** /etc/printcap **

lj|lj4m|hp4m+|HP LaserJet 4M Plus PostScript:\
        :lp=:rm=lj4m:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd-lj:\
        :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:

lj4m is a DNS name for the printer.

** /etc/smb.conf **

[global]
        printing                = bsd
        print command           = lpr -rs -P%p %s

[printers]
        printable               = yes
        public                  = yes
        path                    = /var/spool/samba

--
-- Renaud Waldura -- MIS, Ligos Technology -----
-- rwaldura at ligos.com -- http://www.ligos.com --