Public Shares

secret secret at kearneydev.com
Wed Jul 1 17:19:39 GMT 1998

    I have a public share on my samba server named "Public" as follows:

[public]
        comment = Public/General use files
        path = /home/samba/public
        browseable = yes
        public = yes
        writeable = yes
        write list = @mis

    I've tried removing the writeable and write list, adding a forced
user= and all kinds of other combinations but nothing seems to work
right.

    What I want to do ideally is simply give anyone access to this share
with absolutely no password.(readonly)... I would settle for access with
a given password... For the latter I created an account named "mis" and
set "user = mis" which failed to accept the MIS password every time(with
logged errors referencing whatever account was logged in at the tme),
when I tried "force user = mis" it also failed.

    Anyway, I think there must be some simple way to do this but I can't
seem to figure it out, and having users come over to type in their
password is an inconvience(I can't even say something like net use x:
\\nexus\public user=my username in order to use my password)... This is
a directory that has a lot of commonly installed software, as well as
drivers and other such things.

Thanks in advance,
David