Speed Problem listing files on share over Router

Harry Ford hford at economeister.com
Wed Jul 1 17:16:34 GMT 1998

Dear list,

I have a problem/question as to the samba implementation on getting a list
of files in a directory. The following is situation:

*I am in New York, I connect to a share in London via 16kb line going
through a cisco router.
*typing 'dir' at a dos prompt or trying to open a file (that resides in the
	share) in Microsoft word or any other application that requires the
retreival of a list of files in a share takes a very long time.  e.g. 60
files in share 8-10 seconds just to get the entire list.

admittadly, the speed of the line is slow, but the following exerpt from a
log file (debug 5) shows that dos 8.3 checking is happening twice (?) per
file, the buffer size of the list is 2k (which leads to the 'dir' command
spitting out files in 2k chunks...

is there any way I can speed this up?  disable 8.3 checking? I've tried
modifying max xmit, read raw, socket options, name mangling -- to no
avail...  nothing in the archives or docs about it either.

I would wholeheartedly appreciate any help,
Harry Ford
(log of opening a new file in word [and the resulting transfer of a file
list to my PC] follows)

[following chunk repeats 4 more times]
become_user uid=(0,501) gid=(501,501)
chdir to /home/hford
call_trans2findfirst: dirtype = 22, maxentries = 6, close_after_first=0,
close_i
f_end = 0 requires_resume_key = 0 level = 260, max_data_bytes = 2432
path=\TEST\*.*
unix_clean_name [./TEST/*.*]
unix_convert(test/*.*,75)
New file *.*
unix_clean_name [test/*.*]
dir=test, mask = *.*
start_dir cnum=75 dir=test
unix_clean_name [test]
creating new dirptr 4 for path test, expect_close = 1
dptr_num is 4, wcard = *.*, attr = 22
get_lanman2_dir_entry found test/. fname=.
checking . for 8.3
get_lanman2_dir_entry found test/.. fname=..
checking .. for 8.3
get_lanman2_dir_entry found test/1 fname=1
checking 1 for 8.3
get_lanman2_dir_entry found test/this.is.a.test.file.1
fname=this.is.a.test.file.1
checking this.is.a.test.file.1 for 8.3
checking this.is.a.test.file.1 for 8.3
get_lanman2_dir_entry found test/this.is.a.test.file.2
fname=this.is.a.test.file.2
checking this.is.a.test.file.2 for 8.3
checking this.is.a.test.file.2 for 8.3
get_lanman2_dir_entry found test/this.is.a.test.file.3
fname=this.is.a.test.file.3
checking this.is.a.test.file.3 for 8.3
checking this.is.a.test.file.3 for 8.3
1998/06/30 11:14:42 SMBtrans2 mask=*.* directory=test cnum=75 dirtype=22
numentr
ies=6
1998/06/30 11:14:43 Transaction 115 of length 104
size=100
smb_com=0x32
smb_rcls=0
[same chunk repeats 4 more times]