NT Crashes when doing large network file Xfers (was Re: NT crashes during smbtar)

Stefan Mähler maehler at co-de.de
Wed Jul 1 09:48:06 GMT 1998

Rick Flower wrote:
[...]
>  Has anyone reported this BUG to Microsloth?  Are there
> any known workarounds?  Could it be a bug in the NIC if the only NICs
> effected are 3com cards?  Currently our failure machines are running
> 3com 3c595's in 100mb mode.
>
> So, if you see the NT network subsystem go DOA on you, can you tell
> us what network card you are running along with other vital stats (ie.
> 10mb / 100mb mode, full/half duplex, make/model of NIC, NT version,
> is the local subnet router in full or half duplex, etc.).

[...]

We found out, that it must be a problem between MS an 3com. We are using
the 3com 3c905 TX cards. Under Linunx these cards are running. But under
MS 95 and NT we had troubles all the time. No matter if you are copying
MS->MS or MS->Samba. All files bigger than 50MB crashing the system :-(
Two weeks ago we downloaded the new driver disks from 3com's website.
Since that day I didn't have a crash again. Beside this, it seems to
be mutch faster too.

Have a nice day!
Stefan

Stefan Mähler (technical director)         @ computational design gmbh