How to NMBLOOKUP a remote domain

Steffen Einsle steffen at portfish.fish.de
Wed Jan 28 22:16:11 GMT 1998

Hi there,

----------
HOW CAN I FORCE NMBD TO MAP A SPECIFIED GROUPNAME TO A
FIXED IP-ADDRESS?
----------

I have about 12 completely separated networks, all running
Linux/Samba as server and win311/win95/win98 as workstations.
Everything works fine (in every LAN at least).
Problems arise whenever I try to connect to a remote domain.
(I have a 64K ISDN dialup line with ipppd from my central
 office network to each of the remote networks.)
The problem for me is, that the WORKGROUP name of the remote
network cannot be looked-up.

My local network has workgroup/domain MYNET.

    ($)>nmblookup MYNET
gives me MYSERVER absolutely correct MYSERVER and all clients.

    ($)>nmblookup OTHERNET
gives me  "name_query failed to find name OTHERNET"  while

    ($)>nmblookup OTHERNET -B 192.168.29.255
works perfect for me, even

    ($)>nmblookup OTHERSERVER
works ok, only the remote domain is completely unknown.
although i have set
    NAME RESOLVE ORDER = LNHOSTS HOSTS WINS BROADCAST
nmbd never seems to consult the linux-lmhosts file.
I think I got something terribly wrong...

SO, HOW CAN I FORCE NMBD TO MAP A SPECIFIED GROUPNAMES TO
FIXED IP-ADDRESSES?

thanks in advance,
S. EINSLE