smbd processes owned by user not root

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Wed Jan 28 18:35:02 GMT 1998

On Thu, 29 Jan 1998, Darcy Barnett wrote:

> > From jdblair at frodo.tucc.uab.edu Wed Jan 28 10:52:13 1998
> ..
> > > We are running Samba 1.9.17p4 on Solaris 2.6.
> > >
> > > smbd and nmbd are spawned by inetd.
> > >
> > > Suddenly, 12 smbd processes were spawned belonging to a non-root user.
> > >
> > > Non-root users cannot login to this fileserver.
> > >
> > > Has anyone seen this?  How can we prevent this?
> >
> > Who are they owned by?  What do you mean that non-root users cannot login
> > to this fileserver?  Do you mean that all users log in as *root*?  I'm
> > assuming I'm misunderstanding you because this would be extremely foolish.
>
> This fileserver exports filesystems to trusted systems and
> authenticates users who want to mount the filesystems via PC-NFS,
> SMB, or other 3rd party packages.   Users cannot actually login and
> compute.  The smbd process owner, stephen, was on an NT 4.0 system
> and connecting to his home directory which is on the server.
> Furthermore, when his system disconnected from the network, the smbd
> processes remained.

that is a problem with NT 4.0 workstation, not samba.  the actual
workstation itself, not the user, is maintaining a connection to the samba
server.  whether a user is logged in or logged out is therefore
irrelevant: the connection is still maintained, and nothing can be done
about it short of switching the NT 4.0 workstation off and on each time a
user logs out.

experiment with [global]  guest ok = no and max mux = 2 and as a last
resort: logon path = \\%L\profiles\%U.

luke