smbd processes owned by user not root

Darcy Barnett pdb at cme.nist.gov
Wed Jan 28 13:14:10 GMT 1998

We are running Samba 1.9.17p4 on Solaris 2.6.

smbd and nmbd are spawned by inetd.

Suddenly, 12 smbd processes were spawned belonging to a non-root user.

Non-root users cannot login to this fileserver.

Has anyone seen this?  How can we prevent this?

Thanks.

Darcy Barnett

P. Darcy Barnett
Computer Scientist                             | office:  Metrology A118
Control Systems Group                          |          Gaithersburg, MD 20899
Intelligent Systems Division                   | voice:   301/975-3830
National Institute of Standards and Technology | fax:     301/990-9688
US Department of Commerce                      | email:   pdb at nist.gov