1.9.18p2 compile problem

Rod Evans rod at prospect.anprod.csiro.au
Tue Jan 27 23:43:38 GMT 1998

On Tue, 27 Jan 1998, Michael St. Laurent wrote:

> Hmmm, strange.  I am also using GCC on a Solaris system (2.5.1) but
> everything compiled correctly for me.

> At 04:42 PM 1/27/98 +1100, you wrote:
> >I just grabbed 1.9.18p2 and tried compiling with gcc 2.7.2.1 for a Solaris
> >2.5 box, but it didn't get too far -
> >
> >it gave up in smb.h with the following:
> >
> >"./smb.h", line 547: major: argument mismatch
> >"./smb.h", line 548: minor: argument mismatch
> >"./smb.h", line 547: syntax error before or at: int
> >"./smb.h", line 547: warning: syntax requires ";" after last struct/union
> >member
> >"./smb.h", line 556: zero-sized struct/union
> >"./smb.h", line 556: cannot recover from previous errors
> >*** Error code 10
> >make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `util.o'

The problem was - I *thought* I'd set CC = gcc in the Makefile, but
somehow it was still commented out :-). So, I guess it was using Sun's
native compiler (which is still ANSI, so should work OK), or maybe CC was
undefined?
Anyway, fixing this solved the problem.

[ To Charles, who had the same problem: make sure you have CC set to an
ANSI C compiler].

Cheers,

Rod.

| Rod Evans     Divisional Manager      CSIRO Division of Animal Production |
|               (Networks/Computing)    Locked Bag 1, Delivery Centre       |
|                                       Blacktown, NSW 2148                 |
| Internet:                             AUSTRALIA                           |
| R.Evans at prospect.anprod.csiro.au      Tel: (61) (02) 9840 2700            |
|                                       Fax:           9840 2940            |