Share problem.

Thomas.Hansen.tmh./Copenhagen at manbw.dk Thomas.Hansen.tmh./Copenhagen at manbw.dk
Tue Jan 27 15:03:27 GMT 1998

     HI All samba admin.

     I am running Samba version 1.9.18p1 on a hp-ux 10.20.

     I have some problems understanding why I don't inherit the permissions
     from the directory, where I create my files.

     This is the share entry in smb.conf:

     [project]
        comment = project
        path = /manbw2/project
        public = yes
        writable = yes
        directory mask = 2770
        create mask = 2770
        force create mode = 2770
        force directory mode = 2770

     This is an ls -ld on /manbw2/project
     drwxrws---   4 root  a9544     1024 Jan 27 15:14 /manbw2/project

     When I create files in that directory there are ok, all created with
     rwxrws---, even the directories I create.

     My problem is there are already directories in the filesystem with
     other permissions:
     drwxrwsrwx   2 root       a9544         1024 Jan 27 15:49 990, which
     is nfs exported to some workstations.
     When I create files in that dir. they are still created with
     -rwxrws---   1 tmh        a9544        34816 Jan 16 11:49 9544OPG1.DOC

     I have tried to remove the force create mode, but then files are
     created like this:
     -rwxrw----   1 tmh        a9544        34816 Jan 16 11:49 9544OPG1.DOC

     I have a NetApp Filer, running CIFS, where this is not a problem. Can
     anyone help me.

     Best regards
     Thomas Hansen
     Please reply to tmh at manbw.dk or the samba listing