Using Samba to debug DOS

Jan Kratochvil short at k332.feld.cvut.cz
Mon Jan 26 22:49:31 GMT 1998

Hi

> I want to use Samba to debug a program.  It is trying to open a file or
> directory that does not exist, and I can't figure out what the name of
> it is.
>
> Is there a way to make Samba log file access that fails (file not found,
> directory not found, etc.)?
  Besides the normal way of adding debugging printfs you can choose another
(simpler) ways:

1. Use some of the file-open tracking utility under pure DOS. I wrote
some tracker but it needs another hercules/MDA monitor. (another chance
are several lines of ASM code to catch INT21/3Dh and print it out to
screen. Unfortunately it sometimes collides with normal program output
- especially in graphics modes.)

2. Use some equivalent of tcpdump or another packet sniffing tool. The
best would be some with SMB disassembly capabilities (such as tcpdump
found on samba.anu.edu.au).

3. Use some equivalent of strace (under Linux) to track kernel calls of
smbd as user level process under UNIX.

					Happy hacking,
						Jan "Lace" Kratochvil