access to NT/Win95 network from Linux ' dial-in | internet '

Jan Vicherek honza at ied.com
Sun Jan 25 22:37:28 GMT 1998

On Thu, 22 Jan 1998, Bruce Cook wrote:

> Jan Vicherek writes:
>  >     What types of access are *not* possible from the two non-LAN groups ?
>  >     In other words, what is the list of services on the NT (or LAN 95
>  > boxes) that are not available to either of the two "remote" access groups ?
>  >  (these are the "inernet" and "dial-in" access groups)
>
> Nothing from the internet should be able to access any services on
> either of the other two groups.  That's what you have the firewall
> for after all.

   Hmm, I need the box that is on the Net in another city to see some of
the resources on the NT/win95 boxes that I have on the LAN. Security
concerns are secondary.

> Depends upon how you set up the forwarding as to what the modem group
> can get to.  I set up the modem with proxy-ARP, giving it a local ethernet
> IP number so that it appears to be on the local net.
>  In this case the
> modem user can access everything local, and the internet as well.

  That looks like the solution ! How do I do it ?

>  >   I assume that that the second (dedicated dial-in) access group has all
>  > the same capabilities as the LAN access group, since the machine that
>  > dials-in can get an IP on the LAN.
>
> Dialins may have a problem with samba browsing and any other protocol that
> requires multicasts.

  Do you mean *multicasts* or *broadcasts* ?

  But one paragraph above you said that I can access the LAN from the
internet using proxy-ARP. Can I not use proxy-ARP for dial-in as well ?

>  >  Question 2:
>  >   Am I wrong on this assumption ?
>  >
>  >  Question 3:
>  >   Is there a way any of the NT / Win95 boxes can see a modem on Linux as a
>  > "modem" ? I.e. it can call dial-out from it (data modemming), perhaps even
>  > faxing ? ( and I wouldn't dream of voice capabilities).
>
> There is a program (Can't remember it's name) that emulates a bios modem
> on the PC box, while connecting to a socket an the unix box. At the unix
> end you have a program to transfer bytes between the socket and /dev/modem

  OK, I'll try to find it.

       Thanx,

          Jan

 -- Gospel of Jesus is the saving power of God for all who believe --
Jan Vicherek ## To some, nothing is impossible. ##  www.ied.com/~honza
Interactive Electronic Design Inc.    -#-    PGP: finger honza at ied.com