samba and network browsing / cross-subnet browsing / master browsers

John E Hein jhein at fallschurch.esys.com
Fri Jan 23 17:11:36 GMT 1998

John Dong wrote at 17:29 -0500 on Jan 22:
 > John,
 >
 > I saw your posting about brwosing problem. I have the exact same problem with samba. Sambas was set up as
 > local master browser, however it could not find domain master browser, which limit its scope to its subnet only.
 > All computer in the same subnet as samba only see computer in the same subnet.
 >
 > Do you resolve your problem yet ? I am interested in the response you got.
 >
 > Thanks,
 >
 > John Dong
 > Lucent Technologies
 > jdong at lucent.com

Nope, we haven't gotten it fixed.  Simon Hyde responded
 with one suggestion about 'os level' (he said to increase
 the os level higher than the NTAS machine which, according
 to BROWSING.txt, is 32).  I tried that to no avail.

In reality, I don't really CARE who the domain or local master browsers are
 (PCs or Samba), as long as a PC on one subnet can see a PC in the same
 workgroup on a different subnet when browsing in the network neighborhood,
 AND VICE-VERSA.

I have never been able to get this to occur.  If anyone could
 suggest a way to debug this or offer any possible reason to explain
 this behavior, I'd be grateful.  It's at least somewhat reassuring
 that I'm not the only person who has suffered this problem.

Simon also suggested I make sure all the PCs are pointing to the
 same NTAS WINS server (they are).

Is there anything special I should have to do on the NTAS WINS server
 to make it serve browse lists for the workgroup I am interested in?
 I don't have access to the WINS server - I chose not to make
 our Samba server be a WINS server since it isn't able to speak
 the replication protocol that allows WINS servers to replicate
 to each other.  So, since there is already an NTAS WINS server
 on the net, I figured we could just use that?

Could there be a problem with a name duplication between my workgroup
 and another workgroup or NT domain?  Obviously I am grasping for
 straws here, but I can't think of any reason I am unable to browse
 across subnets for my workgroup.