Incredible!!! HUGE speed improvement

Jim Watt jimw at pe-nelson.com
Fri Jan 23 00:52:23 GMT 1998

--On Friday, January 23, 1998, 9:41 AM +1100 "Eloy A. Paris" <eparis at ven.ra.rockwell.com> wrote:

[SNIP!}

} Then, suddenly, I had an inspiration: why not to map \\zeus\eparis as
} a network drive and use that instead? That's what I did so I started
} Eudora as ""C:\Eudora\Eudora.exe I:\Eudora" when I: was mapped to
} \\zeus\eparis. Now guess what: the thing flew like a rocket!!! It took
} like 3 seconds to get Eudora openened.
}
} So, now I know this thing has nothing to do with Samba because in
} order to improve speed I did not change anything in Samba, I changed
} things in Windows 95.
}
} My conclussion is that is a lot slower to access a share through an
} network drive than using its UNC path. I guess this is because
} Windows 95 has to do a lot more work with the UNC path than with a
} drive letter.

We've seen dramatic performance differences with Win95 lettered drive
mapping versus UNC paths also.  It's disturbing, because maintaining
the UNC paths can be done centrally, but not the lettered drive mapping.

Don't you mean...

} My conclussion is that is a lot faster to access a share through an
                                  ^^^^^^
} network drive than using its UNC path.

That's what your data, and ours, suggests!

Jim
--
Jim Watt                                 jimw at PE-Nelson.COM
Perkin-Elmer Corporation                 Voice (desk): +1 408 577 2228