samba 1.9.18p1 and multiple subnets/ network neighborhood browsing

Brian Fernald fernald at nsi.edu
Fri Jan 16 20:16:40 GMT 1998

I have read the entire BROWSING.TXT file and still am unsure of the browsing
capabilities of Samba.

We have the following Network

        |-----------Router------------
        |                            |
        |                            |
        |                            |
        |                            |
    Network (A)                    Network (B)
133.134.183.xxx                    142.42.134.xxx
Workgroup = LAB1                    Workgroup = LAB2
 Samba Server                        Win95 PC (B)
  Win95 PC (A)

PC (A) can browse all machines on Network A in LAB1 and can see the LAB2
workgroup. However it can't access the LAB2 workgroup (it says the sharename
can't be found).  PC (B) can view all machines in the LAB2 workgroup, can
see LAB1 workgroup, but also cannot view LAB1. Both networks use the Samba
Server in Network (A) as the WINS Server which works fine. Also, I can use
WIN95 find-computer feature to find computers in the other subnet.  I just
can't browse via the network neighborhood into the other subnet. Any ideas?
Our smb.conf file follows :

[global]

   workgroup = LAB1
   guest account = guest