samba 1.9.18p1 and file overruns

Seth Vidal skvidal at ehc.edu
Fri Jan 16 19:27:53 GMT 1998

> > wins_write_database: Can't open /var/lock/samba/wins.dat.. Error was File table overflow
>
> Looks to me like your kernel is running out of open
> file descriptors. Are you running on HPUX 9.x by
> any chance ?
nope linux 2.0.33
it's on a dell poweredge 2200 with 128m of ram.

> Samba & nmbd will die horribly if file descriptors
> run out - 1.9.18 does use a few more than 1.9.17
> (I have to open several in nmbd to bind to all
> possible interfaces).
>
> Can you give some more details about what system
> you are running on etc. ?

Additionally I never got the File table overrun errors but I did end up with
locked smbd processes when I ran 1.9.18p1.
It's very odd.
As well I experienced an error on win3.11 domain logons. When the domain
logon tried to occur the attempt was made to pull the bat file from the C:
rather than UNC path. Very odd. I think that one may be nothing more than a
typo.
nevertheless the error is strange.
It seems to only occur on DHCP'd win3.11 clients.

hope this helps

Seth Vidal
Emory & Henry College