samba 1.9.18p1 and samba 1.9.17p5

Jeremy Allison jallison at whistle.com
Fri Jan 16 17:52:45 GMT 1998

> wins_write_database: Can't open /var/lock/samba/wins.dat.. Error was File table overflow

Looks to me like your kernel is running out of open
file descriptors. Are you running on HPUX 9.x by
any chance ?

Samba & nmbd will die horribly if file descriptors
run out - 1.9.18 does use a few more than 1.9.17
(I have to open several in nmbd to bind to all
possible interfaces).

Can you give some more details about what system
you are running on etc. ?

Jeremy Allison,
Samba Team.