File lock

J Poloniecki sggp300 at sghms.ac.uk
Thu Jan 15 14:35:57 GMT 1998

I am failing to lock a database file on a unix server (Solaris486) when
the file lock request is sent from Visual Foxpro on Windows 95.

Any suggestions on testing procedures, or even a solution??

Please feel free to assume that I don't know anything about file locks!
I don't even know how Visual Foxpro attempts to lock a file.

Would the Foxpro lock be recognised by any application?
i.e. does Foxpro request a SAMBA lock or does it attempt to keep some
proprietary lock file that only other Foxpro applications would look for?

And does a successful SAMBA lock apply to all possible write access to
the locked file, by whatever means the file is shared out?

Jan

St. George's Hospital, London U.K.
j.poloniecki at sghms.ac.uk
tel: +44 (0)181 725 2795 a.m. (0)181 672 4122 p.m.