Not Really a samba question, but any help would be most appreciated

Nigel Spowage Nigel.Spowage at gtnet.com
Thu Jan 15 11:37:23 GMT 1998

I know this isn't a question about samba, but it is a problem with microsoft
workgroups/domains which people on this list may be able to solve, or at least
throw a little light on why it happens.

the setup:
  1 x NTRigue box (windows NT sever 3.51)
  1 x NT 4 workstation
  some win 95 machines
  1 x sun ultra running samba 1.9.18

  none of the machines are using wins
  all the windows machines (and samba) are in workgroup called GTLEEDS.

the problem:
 every 15 minutes the NTrigue box attempts to resolve the name of the workgroup
into a machine IP address. according to the debug file from the DNS it receives
a request to resolve GTLEEDS from the NTrigue box. because we do not have a
machine called GTLEEDS in our domain, our DNS asks it's master DNS if it knows.
this query opens a dial up line because our master DNS is on another site. we
would like to stop this name resolution so our dialup line isn't continually
opened over and over again.

 i understand that the domain master browser attempts to contact all the master
browsers to get an up to date list of servers in the domain, is this what is
happening ? I think the NTrigue box wins the election for domain master, but
why is it resolving the workgroup name ?

 would creating a wins server solve this in any way ?

 currently our only fudge for this problem is to add a GTLEEDS host name to our
local DNS so that it resolves the name and therefore dosn't need to call the
master DNS.

 If there's a solution using samba then that would be ideal.

 thanks in advance for any help

 nigel spowage
Nigel Spowage		Tel   : +44 (0) 113 224 5720
Graham Technology	Fax   : +44 (0) 113 243 3018
leeds,UK		e-mail: nigel.spowage at gtnet.com