Disappearing Samba servers

Karl_Royer at sandwich.pfizer.com Karl_Royer at sandwich.pfizer.com
Thu Jan 15 10:03:17 GMT 1998

> Date: Sun, 11 Jan 1998 00:36:18 -0800
> From: "Roeland M.J. Meyer" <rmeyer at mhsc.com>
> To: "samba at arvidsjaur.anu.edu.au" <samba at samba.anu.edu.au> Subject:
> Disappearing Samba servers
>
> Hello all,
>
> I recently ran across a problem which I'd seen mentioned earlier. When
> setup with v1.9.17p4, I set both local master and domain master. Only one
> achine was supporting WINS. Within 6 hours, both other servers
> disappeared from the browse lists. Tha smbd seemed healthy, as well as
> nmbd, because both servers responded to a find and, once found, showed
> their shares in the find window. On the theory that they weren't
> reporting their status to the WINS server, I enabled 'wins proxy' support
> in both of them. This is all that I did and they haven't disappeared
> since. My WinNTws40SP3 machines only have the WINS machine, as the WINS
> server explicitly stated in the configuration dialogs.
>
> I might suggest that in future versions of Samba, when 'wins server' is
> set then 'wins proxy' be automaticaly set by default. This implies that
> no seperate setting is needed for 'wins proxy'.
>
> This idea maybe all wet, if so, please inform.

You are not alone, many other people have reported this happening. I feel
setting "wins proxy" may not be a correct solution, in 1.9.17p5 of do not
declare the netbios name not netmask options it doesnt happen ??

I as yet have been unable to work out why this happens, except that it
fails to announce itself after a few hours (milage varies !).

Please could you try 1.9.17p5 and removing the netbios name from your
s,mb.conf file.

			PFIZER CENTRAL RESEARCH