Problem compiling 1.9.18p1 on Linux 2.0.33 with GCC 2.7.2.3

Ken Seitz ken at dra.com
Thu Jan 15 01:20:12 GMT 1998

	Brian Murphy said:
		Hi,
			I have the above system, in the Makefile I have
set these options :

		FLAGSM = -DLINUX -DSHADOW_PWD -DQUOTAS
-DFAST_SHARE_MODES
		LIBSM = -lshadow

		When it compiles smbpass.c I get this

		Using CFLAGS = -O
-DSMBLOGFILE="/usr/local/samba/var/log.smb"

	       <snip>

		Using LIBS =  -lshadow
		Compiling smbpass.c
		cc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal
signal 6
		make: *** [smbpass.o] Error 1

		Samba 1.9.17 worked ok (all versions), but since I
compiled it I have
		upgraded the gcc to 2.7.2.3 and everything else compiles
ok, kernel,
		eggdrop, qmail etc etc

I had this same problem myself, and Luke was kind enough to offer some
advice.  Change " FLAGS1 = -O " to " FLAGS1 = -g " in your Makefile, and
it should work.  For some reason, the optimization of the code in
smbpass.c causes gcc to core dump.  After doing so, Samba should compile
cleanly.

Thanks again to Luke for the suggestion.

Ken Seitz
   - DRA Network Associate
   - http://www.dra.com
   - ken at dra.com