Browsing along side NT

Reggie Beavers - UNIX Sys Admin rbeavers at sfwmd.gov
Wed Jan 14 22:33:17 GMT 1998

> > process_local_master_announce: Server PC1597 at IP 141.232.62.120 is
announcing
> > itself as a local master browser for workgroup SFWMD_HQ and we think we are
> > master. Forcing election.
>
> This is your problem with OS level = 65.
> Samba nmbd now behaves in exactly the same
> way as NT server - if someone else claims
> to be browse master it demotes itself and
> forces an election. Find out why PC1597 at
> IP 141.232.62.120 thinks it is a browse master
> (and then kill it :-).

I'd like to kill it! It's an NT machine. However, it's normal for an
NT machine to become a browse master. We also have W95 machines
within the subnet but they don't create a problem. Shouldn't the
NT machine accept the samba server has the master browser and leave it at
that? Is this something that I should be concerned with or are
these messages just informational and all is well?

> > LOG.NMB (os level = 2)
> > -------------------------------
> > 01/13/1998 20:58:49 netbios nameserver version 1.9.18 started
> > Copyright Andrew Tridgell 1994-1997
> > register_name_response: server at IP 141.232.62.12 rejected our name
> > registration of SFWMD_HQ<1d> with error code 6.
>
> This is your problem with OS level 2. Error code 6
> (from nameserv.h) =
>
> #define ACT_ERR   0x6       /* Active error - name owned by another
> host. */
>
> Someone else (probably the server at IP 141.232.62.12 :-)
> has claimed that name.

If I then bump the 'os level' to 65 they all works well. SFWMD_HQ is the
work group name.  The server at 141.232.62.12 is a samba server that is acting
has a browse master (the same one mentioned above). They have different
hostnames and interface names. I did *not* change their respective
netbios names.

The logic behind my attempt was to first force the samba servers to
become the browse masters. After receiving the 'os level = 65' messages,
I thought I'd allow the NT machines to win the election but set the
samba servers to win over the W95 machines.

I guess my real question is: Is this normal smb behavior?

Anyway, thanks for the information that you've already sent. I didn't
think to look in the .h files for the error codes. I've grown accustomed
to flying space shuttles without instructions!

-Reggie

Reggie Beavers,  UNIX Contractor,            reggie at gate.net
@South Florida Water Management District, rbeavers at sfwmd.gov