Hostname lookups fail when hostname is all numeric!

Rick Flower flower at ms31.sp.trw.com
Wed Jan 14 19:18:52 GMT 1998

> >From RFC 952 (DOD INTERNET HOST TABLE SPECIFICATION):
>
>    1. A "name" (Net, Host, Gateway, or Domain name) is a text string up
>    to 24 characters drawn from the alphabet (A-Z), digits (0-9), minus
>    sign (-), and period (.).  Note that periods are only allowed when
>    they serve to delimit components of "domain style names". (See
>    RFC-921, "Domain Name System Implementation Schedule", for
>    background).  No blank or space characters are permitted as part of a
>    name. No distinction is made between upper and lower case.  The first
>    character must be an alpha character.
>
> Not "should be an alpha character", "must be..."!

Ok.. I guess I was thinking that network hostnames under Win95/WinNT fell
under a different standard than regular internet hostnames.  Gee.. If I
knew it was that easy, I wouldn't have bothered pestering all of you!

Sorry.. Now If I can only figure out why our computer service center staff
named then this way if it is blatently wrong!

-- Rick