Strange password problems with printing

Sean Murphy Sean.Murphy at Teltec.DCU.IE
Wed Jan 14 15:53:51 GMT 1998

Hi,

I've noticed some password authentication related problems in the
upgrade from 1.9.17p4 to 1.9.18 and 1.9.18p1.

We have 2 samba servers running here. The domain is split over 2
subnets, and the sole purpose of one 'server' is to act as local
master browser in one subnet. The other server actually offers
directory and printing services. This runs on a sparc ultra 1. The
clients are either w95 or nt 4.0. The problem below has only been
observed on w95.

Everything was working fine here until I upgraded to 1.9.18. When I
performed this upgrade I had access to my directories as before.
However, I had problems printing. My win 95 client kept informing me
that the password was incorrect and when I checked the samba logs it
kept informing me that it "Can't become connected user!". This
problem never arose in 1.9.17p4. This problem only arose when I tried
to print - there were no problems with the shares that were being
offered as directories. I upgraded to 1.9.18p1, but the problem
persisted.

We also have a novell network here, and the usernames on the novell
network happen to be different from those on the samba/unix network.
Some of the users had the novell logon as the primary win 95 logon
(and the username and password was their novell username). When I
switched this to the Microsoft logon, and their username to their
samba username, printing worked fine.

Fyi, i made no changes in the smb.conf file when upgrading from
1.9.17p4 to 1.9.18 and 1.9.18p1. The samba server is run in share
mode - i.e. security = share.

Of course, you could say why don't you tell all the users to switch
to a microsoft network logon with their unix password as username.
Well, that would lead to problems - it would be much simpler for me
to solve the problem at the server side.

Any ideas?
Sean.
-----
Sean Murphy,		Phone: +353-1-7045080