Selecting files to get...

Martin Mielke martin at jaleo.idecnet.com
Fri Jan 9 20:15:03 GMT 1998

Simon Hyde wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Nov 1997 02:52:32 +1100, you wrote:
>
> [snip]
> >If I execute:
> >
> ># smbtar -v -s pivita -x ADMIN$ -t testFile -u root -p $PASSWD
> >
> >I actually could create a complete backup from the Win95-box but I don't
> >need to to it, so I stop the process by pressing CTRL-C.
> >
> >Now, if I repeat:
> >
> ># smbclient -L pivita
> >
> >I get what I need:
> >
> >Added interface ip=192.1.1.21 bcast=192.1.1.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
> >Server time is Thu Nov 20 15:02:22 1997
> >Timezone is UTC-8.0
> >
> >Server=[PIVITA] User=[] Workgroup=[JALEO] Domain=[]
> >
> >        Sharename      Type      Comment
> >        ---------      ----      -------
> >        ADMIN$         Disk
> >        C$             Disk
> >        C-DOLORES      Disk
> >        D$             Disk
> >        D-DOLORES      Disk
> >        DESKJET 520    Printer
> >        IPC$           IPC       Remote Inter Process Communication
> >        PRINTER$       Disk
> >

> >So from now on I can achive the backup I really want. The command-line
> >looks something like this:
> >
> ># smbtar -v -s pivita -x C$ -d \\path-to-the-data\data -t $TARGET -u
> >root -p $PASSWD
> >
> >I put the user root after the -u option just to let him to the important
> >stuff ;-)  Although I get the same results giving in a different
> >non-root valid username combined with the root's password... strange,
> >isn't it? anyway...
> >
> >Because of this all, I first have to execute a smbtar of ADMIN$ by hand
> >to get the C$ and D$ in the list of shares. What I want to find is some
> >kind of workaround for this and include it in the script I run after the
> >smbtar of ADMIN$. To do it, I'd like to know how to get ONLY ONE file
> >from the Win95 box, which should be enough to make C$ and D$ visible to
> >the UNIX box.
> >
> >Any ideas/help/comments (/XL T-shirts :) ) are very welcomed! maybe I'm
> >doing something wrong, such as mistyping a command, etc...
> >
> >Thank you in advance. Greetings from the Canary Islands! =B-)
> >

> >Martin
>
> smbclient //pivita/ADMIN$ -U root%$PASSWD -c 'quit'

Hello Simon!
Hello everybody!

it doesn't work at all. Follows the console output:

$ smbclient //pivita/ADMIN$ -U root%$PASSWD -c 'quit'
Added interface ip=192.1.1.21 bcast=192.1.1.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
Server time is Fri Jan  9 20:06:08 1998
Timezone is UTC+0.0
first SMBtconX failed, trying again. ERRSRV - ERRbadpw (Bad password -
name/password pair in a Tree Connect or Session Setup are invalid.)
SMBtconX failed. ERRSRV - ERRbadpw (Bad password - name/password pair in a
Tree Connect or Session Setup are invalid.)
Perhaps you are using the wrong sharename, username or password?
Some servers insist that these be in uppercase

The password is correct. I tried it with other Windows boxes and I got the
same results. If somebody has managed to do it correctly, please drop me a
line!
We use Samba 1.9.17p3 running on IRIX 6.x.

TIA,

M at rtin
--
Martin Mielke