NT Logons without encryption?

Rob Naccarato rob.naccarato at sheridanc.on.ca
Fri Jan 9 17:36:12 GMT 1998

I've been reading over the 1.9.18 docs and I'm very pleased
to see the NT logon stuff coming together.  Way to go, Samba
Team!

My question is this, though:  Do I have to have encrypted
passwords configured on a Samba server to allow logons from
an NT server or client?  Can I simply apply the supplied
NT4_PlainPassword.reg to the NT machine and authenticate
users against the Samba server without using encryption?

Seems a waste of time to me to go through all the hassle of
trying to support encryption when we have users using
telnet, ftp, pop, etc. anyways...

--
Rob Naccarato           "I know I'm a lot of feathers,
Sys Admin               but not much chicken."