Server printer drivers?

Jeremy Allison jallison at whistle.com
Thu Jan 8 00:57:29 GMT 1998

Dave Wreski wrote:

> Hi all.  With the release of 1.9.18, I had a few questions.  The announce
> said this:
>
> Samba also provides automatic downloading of printer drivers for
> Microsoft Windows 95 (tm) clients, allowing it to completely replace
> Microsoft Windows NT servers for both file and printer services.
>
> I don't understand what this means.  I have never had a problem installing
> the printer driver on the client, and just sending the raw data thru to
> the printer.  Isn't this how its intended to be done?
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

Yes - the new code allows a Samba server to serve out the
driver files to Windows 95 clients - we could always serve
printers to them, but the new feature allows a Win95 box
to click on 'install printer' and suck the driver files
directly from the Samba server, just like NT !

Sorry for the marketing-speak :-). Refer to the release
notes for what it *really* means (the "glossy" press release
was meant for the computer magazines, really).

Jeremy Allison,
Samba Team.