MS Office / Bandwidth problem [ only tangentially topical ]

Joshua Heling jrh at securepipe.com
Wed Jan 7 20:31:15 GMT 1998

Hi All --

A client is having a problem using Office 98 to edit files stored on a Samba
server (1.9.17p2 on intel linux 2.0.30) across a relatively slow frame relay
link.  Office essentially fails on save operations (sometimes locks up,
sometimes says "network not responding", sometimes just fails to save)
involving large files.

So I wonder:

1) has anyone on the list experienced this problem before with Office?  Are
timeout values configurable, etc?

2) Is there anything I can do with the Samba config to improve the situation.
I really don't think the problem has anything to do with Samba, but it would
be nice if the solution could .. ;)

Thanks,

Joshua

--------