Printing from Netscape Messenger to smb printer

Harry Ford hford at economeister.com
Tue Jan 6 22:11:44 GMT 1998

Hi all,

I've spent a while now trying to figure this out: I can print to an HP
Laserjet 4 from notepad, wordpad, MSword, Visual SlickEdit, and everything
else just fine, but when I try to print an email message from Netscape
Messenger, it prints the header just fine, but the message is completely
screwed.

that is, when true-type fonts are downloaded to the printer, strings of
some kind of control characters show up and I get a memory overflow error
on the printer. when I specify (in the driver preferences) to translate
true-type fonts into graphics, it takes 5 minutes to print a small message
and the body is mostly garbled.

Can anyone recommend a filter program or Win95 prferences I should know
about -- I've read Printers.txt and tried all the diagnostics to no avail.
Should I be translating this into postscript then printing?  I'm lost.

I'm running samba1.9.17p2 on SunOS4.1.3_U1.  The printer is an HP LaserJet
4 Plus capable of 600dpi.  Not sure how much memory -- I have the driver
prefs set to 2Meg.

Relevent pieces of my smb.conf are below. I greatly appreciate any help,
Harry

[global]
   printing = bsd
   printcap name = /etc/printcap
   load printers = no
   guest account = nobody
   log file = /usr/local/samba/var/samba_log.%m
   log level = 1
   workgroup = WORKGROUP
   socket options = TCP_NODELAY

[printers]