Samba and InstallShield 5

Andrew Patterson andrew at sde.hp.com
Tue Jan 6 20:54:43 GMT 1998

Laine,

>Sorry, I know this is a rather specific question, but it does seem to
be
>Samba-related.

>I just purchased InstallShield 5 Professional and am attempting to use
>it in a development directory that is on a Samba-exported disk. My
>problem is that when I attempt to compile the setup.rul script, it
>fails, telling me:

>   Compiling...
>   (0) : fatal  C8503: Can't open script input file
>   Done-  1 error(s), 0 warning(s)

>When I put the same project on the shared disk of another WinNT
machine,
>the compile completes without incident.

>Turning Samba's debug up to 3, I see that InstallShield is attempting
>open the file "Script Files/.rul", which is of course failing (the
>script file is named setup.rul).

>Has anybody experienced this problem? Any idea how to get around it?

>BTW - one hint to InstallShield users - it erroneously attempts to
>determine if a given drive letter is valid by writing a file to the
root
>directory of the drive. If the root dir of your share isn't writable
(as
>mine wasn't), you won't even get as far as I have!

I ran into the same exact problem.  I eventually gave up and just stored
everything on a local drive.  Considering how buggy
IS 5 is, I would tend to blame IS5 rather than samba.

   Andrew Patterson                                              Voice:
(970) 898-3261
   Hewlett-Packard Company                                  FAX:
(970) 229-2180
   Software Engineering Systems Lab                      email:
andrew at fc.hp.com
   3404 East Harmony Road / MS 7
   Fort Collins, Colorado  80528-9599