Samba and InstallShield 5

Jeremy Allison jallison at whistle.com
Tue Jan 6 18:40:03 GMT 1998

Laine,

	This is a known bug with the NT redirector
when a 16 bit program accesses a directory name which is
a long (>8.3) filename. NT doesn't request the mangled
name for the 16 bit app (although Samba can supply
it). You can reproduce the same problem running
against a Windows 95 server (it only occurrs with
a 16 bit app on NT running against an SMB server
that doesn't support NT SMB calls).

I plan to fix this by adding NT SMB calls to Samba,
but this won't get into the 1.9.18 release - probably
the one after.

In the meantime you can get around it be adding a
symlink with a short (8.3) name and access the files
via that path.

Hope this helps,

	Jeremy Allison,
	Samba Team.