Samba and InstallShield 5

Laine Stump laine at MorningStar.Com
Mon Jan 5 22:56:22 GMT 1998

Sorry, I know this is a rather specific question, but it does seem to be
Samba-related.

I just purchased InstallShield 5 Professional and am attempting to use
it in a development directory that is on a Samba-exported disk. My
problem is that when I attempt to compile the setup.rul script, it
fails, telling me:

   Compiling...
   (0) : fatal  C8503: Can't open script input file
   Done-  1 error(s), 0 warning(s)

When I put the same project on the shared disk of another WinNT machine,
the compile completes without incident.

Turning Samba's debug up to 3, I see that InstallShield is attempting to
open the file "Script Files/.rul", which is of course failing (the
script file is named setup.rul).

Has anybody experienced this problem? Any idea how to get around it?

BTW - one hint to InstallShield users - it erroneously attempts to
determine if a given drive letter is valid by writing a file to the root
directory of the drive. If the root dir of your share isn't writable (as
mine wasn't), you won't even get as far as I have!