Samba locks PC

Peter Blake ppb at baloo.tcp.co.uk
Sat Jan 3 11:32:32 GMT 1998

On Thu, 1 Jan 1998, Bart Haezeleer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> While trying to install a DNS I found that the PC locks on boot.
> I started the deamons of samba in /etc/rc.d/rc.local
>
> I tried to configure the DNS as follow:
> /etc/host.conf
> order bind, hosts
> multi on
> nospoof on
>
> /etc/hosts
> 127.0.0.1       localhost
> 192.168.2.1     linux.home.be   linux
>
> /etc/networks
> 1oopback        27.0.0.0

"loopback" not "1oopback", ie letter ell, not numeral one.
The loopback net address is normally 127.0.0.0

> localnet        192.168.2.0
>
> /etc/resolv.conf
> domain home.be
> # DNS from ISP (connection with PPP)
> nameserver 193.121.171.135
> nameserver 193.74.208.65
> nameserver 193.74.208.135
>
> search loopback localnet . ping.be eunet.be
>
> If anyone can help me out, please email me also
> the solution because I can't get the mailinglist about SAMBA
> anymore since digest 1508.

Are you sure that your ISP has your machine configured at the address
shown? It is unlikely, because the 192.168.0.0 net is for private closed
networks. What about the address for your ppp interface? Is this static or
dynamically assigned by the ISP?

You don't show the configuration files for named. I think that you will
have set up named as your primary name server, with your ISP as
secondaries.

man named

---
Peter Blake