dialup Win95 -> samba

John Sutton john at scl.co.uk
Fri Feb 27 11:14:53 GMT 1998

Thanks to the four people who replied to my original posting (appended
below, subject "Win95 problem").  I've made progress but have now hit a new
problem.

The solution to the original problem (How do you make a "standalone" client
"log on to the network"?) was simply to tick the "Server Type/Log on to
network" checkbox in the dialup properties.  I'd omitted doing this before
because it causes a 10 second delay in establishing the dialup connection.
And since there can't possibly be any system on the other end of the line
(i.e. on the ISP's network) which is going to authenticate my system, what's
the point in delaying for 10 secs pretending to do something? However, this
argument is wrong.  Presumably after the attempt to find some system to
authenticate against has timed out, the Win95 client chooses a local
password list and now considers itself to be "logged on" to the network.
All very bizarre and typically Microsoft!  (Is there a way (a hack?) to
reduce this timeout?)

Anyway, new problem:

Win95 <-dialup PPP connection-> linux samba1 <- ethernet -> linux samba2

On the Win95 system I have \WINDOWS\HOSTS entries for samba1 and samba2.  I
can ping any system from any system.  The samba setup on samba1 and samba2
is identical and I can use smbclient on either to mount a share on the other.

On the Win95 system I can mount a share on samba1 but _not_ on samba2.  This
is what I get:

C:\WINDOWS>net use \\samba2\john

Error 53: The computer name specified in the network path cannot be located.
Make sure you are specifying the computer name correctly, or try again later
when the remote computer is available.

Any ideas?

TIA
John Sutton

************* original posting ************
>I'm new to this list so please bear with me if I'm going over old ground.
I've read the Samba FAQ and the document about configuring Win95 clients,
both to no avail.

>I have two Win95 clients which differ in their Network config only in that
one has an ethercard which connects via an ISDN router to the Internet.  It
also has a modem and the Dialup Adapter so I can connect using the modem if
the ISDN service is down.  I'll call this first the "networked" client.  The
second is a "standalone" machine which has only the Dialup Adapter i.e. has
a modem connection to the Internet.

>When I boot the "networked" client, it throws up a dialogue and asks that I
logon to the network.  This I do (simply by pressing Enter as I have set an
empty password) although I've never really understood what this means - it
can only mean that it is validating the password against a local file as no
network activity occurs!  If I then attempt to log a network drive (I have a
Web server on the Internet running Samba) it works fine.  And this is true
even if the ISDN line is down, except of course that I have to establish a
modem connection first.

>When I boot the "standalone" client, it does _not_ throw up the "logon to
the network" dialogue.  And so, when I attempt to log a network drive on the
Samba server (having first established a modem connection of course), it
refuses immediately and tells me that I am "not logged on"!

>So my problem is: How do you make a "standalone" client "log on to the
network"?  I should also point out that the client which works (the
"networked" client) was formerly a Win3.1 machine which was subsequently
"upgraded" to Win95 whereas the "standalone" client started life (such as it
is :-) as Win95.  So I'm wondering if what I'm trying to do, and which was
very easily set up under 3.1, is not possible with 95?