Problems with Samba and Solaris 2.6

oxp at austclear.com.au oxp at austclear.com.au
Fri Feb 27 03:59:22 GMT 1998

Hi all,

We are running samba 1.9.17p4 on two Sun Ultra 450, Solaris 2.6
with all recommended patches applied.
Both macines have two CPUs and are working just fine - no problems
with going from 2.5.1 to 2.6.

Samba binaries were compiled under solaris 2.6 using gcc 2.7.2.3
I got the compiler as a 2.6 package from
http://www.mbp.duke.edu:80/christensen/sitesNG.html

Olga

You wrote
| We're having problems running Samba on a dual-processor Sparcserver 10
| running Solaris 2.6. The problem is that samba seems to spawn multiple
| processes for each connection and generally consume more and more
| resources until the system runs out of memory and swap, or just
| generally becomes completely unresponsive.
|
| We have seen load averages of 500+ on this machine as a result.
..
|                       Sun have raised the question of whether Samba is
| compatible with Solaris 2.6, so before I am forced to take this system
out
| of service for a day to upgrade it to Solaris 2.5.1 (which ran Samba
just
| fine): Is anyone successfully running Samba on Solaris 2.6, or aware
of
| any solution to the problems we seem to be experiencing?

  It works fine on a single-processor 2.6, and passed Appcert
(http://www.sun.com/developer/solbrand/app-cert.html).

  We have it running on a Solaris 2.5.1 SPARCServer 1000 in Toronto,
but not a 2.6 multiprocessor...

  If it looks like a Solaris bug, I'll be directly interested: I
work on part of the Binary Application Stability programme, and
we're actively trying to avoid having customers downgrade to older
releases.
--
II Broker Services Australia           II  Phone: +61 3 92260217        II
II                                     II  Email: oxp at bby.com.au        II