Problems with Samba and Solaris 2.6

Jeremy Allison jallison at whistle.com
Thu Feb 26 17:57:36 GMT 1998

Rick Flower wrote:

> Just for the record... We've got Samba 1.9.17p5 running
> on a 4 processor Sparc Ultra Enterprise 450 running under
> Solaris 2.6 without any noticable problems (other than printers -- as
> always).  I tried running the first two version of 1.9.18, but
> ran in MAJOR performance issues.. One user reported opening a
> few files from within an application running under NT4/SP3 would
> take 5 minutes to complete, whereas once I switched back to the
> 1.9.17p5 the same operation took 5 seconds.  My suggestion is that
> IF you are running the 1.9.18p? version(s), to switch back to using
> the 1.9.17p5 and see if it works better.
>
> -- Rick

Rick,

	Do you have any more details on why you had
performance problems with 1.9.18 (BTW: We're up to
1.9.18p3 now) ? I ask as I know of many sites using
1.9.18p3 for performance *improvements* (due to the
oplock code) and NetBench benchmarks on the 1.9.18
code have been rather good. If you were using 1.9.18
or 1.9.18p1 and saw problems then I understand as there
was an oplock deadlock bug in those two releases
that would have caused you *major* problems on a
loaded system. This was fixed in 1.9.18p2 and above.

I understand you can't mess with a production machine
though :-).

Cheers,

	Jeremy Allison,
	Samba Team.