nmb log file entry

Jim Watt jimw at pe-nelson.com
Thu Feb 26 03:34:32 GMT 1998

--On Wednesday, February 25, 1998, 5:48 AM +1100 "Jeremy Allison" <jallison at whistle.com> wrote:

} Jeremy Allison wrote:
} >
} > Well the code that prints out that error message is getting
} > the IP address directly from the recvfrom() call in util.c
} > that gets the incoming udp packet. Do you have a network
} > sniffer that can see if the source address really is getting
} > set to the local broadcast address (and also this would allow
} > you to get the MAC address of the sender to track it down) ?
} >
}
} Well, raining on my own parade here I have (finally) realized
} that the code in nmbd_namequery.c that prints out second message
} IP source address is wrong :-(. It will always print out the
} IP address the query was sent to - which of course is the
} subnet broadcast address. Argggghhhhh.

OK, with that fix in, we're seeing:

query_name_response: Multiple (2) responses received for a query on subnet
192.52.153.11 for name TIOGA<1d>. This response was from IP 192.52.153.117

That actually makes sense...sort of.  That address is a PPP connection,
and the device it's coming from has been told that our Samba WINS server
is the domain's NetBIOS nameserver.  Now that I know what's doing that,
I'll have a chat with the vendor of that beast!

Jim
--
Jim Watt                                 jimw at PE-Nelson.COM
Perkin-Elmer Corporation                 Voice (desk): +1 408 577 2228