Why has this code changed?

Jeremy Allison jallison at whistle.com
Wed Feb 25 22:28:19 GMT 1998

R.Nieuwenhuizen at cpb.nl wrote:

> I seems that the old nmbd (samba-1.9.17p5) would only accept packets from
> the interfaces mentioned with the parameter "interfaces". But the new nmbd
> is willing to accept packets from all addresses. Can anyone (possibly
> Jeremy?) explain this change of code?

Sure, the new nmbd opens one socket per interface, plus one
socket on the broadcast interface. This is done so we can
tell which interface a udp packet came in on, or whether
it came in on an address not configured in the interfaces
list. We can decide what to do with a packet based on the
incoming interface - also, when registering a multihomed
host with an NT WINS server it's important that the
outgoing IP address is the correct one or the multihomed
registration will fail - so we use the correct sockets
for outgoing packets also.

If you want to restrict the interfaces that nmbd will
accept packets on then set the 'bind interfaces only'
parameter to true in the [global] section of the smb.conf.

Cheers,

	Jeremy.