Win95 dial-in, smbd processes left running

Toby Blake toby at cogsci.ed.ac.uk
Wed Feb 25 13:06:55 GMT 1998

Hi all,

I've got a couple of questions regarding Win95 dial-up connections.
We're running samba 1.9.16p10 (yes, I know - I plan to upgrade soon).

My main query concerns smbd processes that are left running.  When a
user dials in to our samba server, the login script is executed and an
smbd process is created as expected.  However, if the user disconnects
the smbd process is left running.  If the user then dials in again no
new smbd process will be created (presumably they're attached to the
existing one).  Also, if the user restarts their machine and dials in
again, their logon script will be executed, otherwise no script is run
(password caching??).

Basically, I'd like to know under what circumstances does the smbd
process terminate itself for a dial-up connection.

Apologies if this has been answered before (I've searched the docs,
etc. but couldn't find anything) and expecially if this is dealt with
in a subsequent upgrade.

Also, can anyone point me towards the location of the file previously
known as http://www.c2.org/hackmsoft/ (it doesn't seem to be there
anymore).

Thanks

Toby Blake