netbios-ssn/tcp: unknown service

joseph yang jyang at cp10.es.xerox.com
Wed Feb 25 01:47:47 GMT 1998

Sorry if this is such a basic question but I couldn't find anything about this in the FAQs/HowTos/Digest.

I've compiled samba-1.9.18p3 on SunOS4.1.3_U1.

When I tried to run smbd via inetd.conf (SIGHUP), I always get the following on the console.

inetd[590]: netbios-ssn/tcp: unknown service

I've edited the /etc/services to add:
netbios-ssn     139/tcp

And the /etc/inetd/conf with the following line:
netbios-ssn     stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/local/samba/bin/smbd smbd
-d1 -l/var/adm/smblogs/log -s/usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf

I also tried manually running the smbd at the prompt but nothing happens.

What could be wrong? Is it my kernel doesn't support these services?  How can I rectify this?

Any help is appreciated. Thanx in advance.

--Joe