Encrypted passwd not working in NT/SP3 and Win95

Gerald W. Carter cartegw at Eng.Auburn.EDU
Tue Feb 24 13:39:25 GMT 1998

Biswajit Sain wrote:

> But since then, I have upgraded to the latest samba (1.9.18p2) and am
> using the des package included with it. I have encrypt password = yes in
> smb.conf. However, I do not want to set the "plain text" mode in
> registry, for, then it defeats the whole purpose of encryption -> NT/SP3
> will then not encrypt the password while sending to samba server.

I don't think this is correct.  My understanding is that SP3 makes
encrypted passwords the default.  Setting the value in the registry for
PlainTextPasswords does not disable encrypted passwords, it just does
not make them the default.  If the server is using encrypted passwords,
then things works just as if the registry key did not exist.  It allows
you to connect to samba servers that are not using encrypted passwords
as well.

But that is besides the point since you said you did not want to use the
registry key at all...( and besides you don't need it)

> What I want is, NT/SP3 as well as Win95 *should* send encrypted
> passwords (thus, I should not have to set "plaintext" password in
> registry), which Samba server should successfully match locally. With
> current setting, having compiled and installed samba with encryption
> enabled, I am able to access shares from Win95 using encrypted password,
> but not from NT/SP3. Can anybody suggest how to handle this?

Need a little more information.  Can you send the [global] section of
smb.conf?

j-
                            Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter

                                  - Sting "Message in a Bottle" ( 1979 )