Problems with Samba and Solaris 2.6

Gary Barnes gkb at aber.ac.uk
Tue Feb 24 10:17:59 GMT 1998

Dear all,

We're having problems running Samba on a dual-processor Sparcserver 10
running Solaris 2.6. The problem is that samba seems to spawn multiple
processes for each connection and generally consume more and more resources
until the system runs out of memory and swap, or just generally becomes
completely unresponsive.

We have seen load averages of 500+ on this machine as a result.

We were running Samba 1.9.17alpha4 when this problem first occured, but the
problem remained when I fetched and compiled 1.9.18p1, using gcc 2.7.2.3.

I can post any parts of the smb.conf that might be relevant, if asked, but
this seems to be more of a problem with samba itself, rather than
configuration I fear. Sun have raised the question of whether Samba is
compatible with Solaris 2.6, so before I am forced to take this system out
of service for a day to upgrade it to Solaris 2.5.1 (which ran Samba just
fine):

Is anyone successfully running Samba on Solaris 2.6, or aware of any
solution to the problems we seem to be experiencing?

Thanks in advance

Gaz
--
 /\./\   gkb at aber.ac.uk (Gary "Wolf" Barnes)
( - - ) "Eat peas with a dessert spoon; and curry also."