Samba subnet problem -> So near yet so far!

Wajihuddin Ahmed wahmed at isb.worldwerx.com.pk
Mon Feb 23 12:35:21 GMT 1998

I have the following network setup.  I have a route defined on the linux
machine to the NT server with 'route add -host 208.222.17.11 eth0'.
Gateway for this whole setup is 192.168.5.1.  Linux machine is the domain
and local master browser.  Workgroup is the same on *all* machines. A WINS
server is running on the NT machine and all workstations including the
Linux machine use it.

         ** Any machine can ping any machine on this LAN **

			-------
    --------------------| HUB |-------------------
    |                   -------                  |
    |                      |                     |
    |                      |                     |
    |                      |                     |
--------------    | Linux 2.0.33|           | NT 4.0 sp3|
|workstations|    | SAMBA	|------     -------------
--------------    | 1.9.18p3	|     |     208.222.xx.xx
 192.168.5.xx     ---------------     |     WINS server
                  eth0: 192.168.5.1   |

                                   ---------------
                                   | via PPP  to |
                                   |  internet   |
                                   ---------------
                                    ppp0: 194.133.xx.xx

The problem is that workstations cannot see the NT machine in their browse
list (network neighborhood).  However they can map any shares from the NT
server and if the 'find computer' option is used, the NT machine is found
and its share listed. On the other hand the NT server can see all the
machines in its browse list.

I have tried several configurations and read the docs but have had no
success so far in getting the SAMBA servers browse list to list the NT
server.

I have added 208.222.xxx.xxx/32 to the interfaces option but then nmbd
doesn't start and gives errors.  In the current configuration i get this
error in the nmbd log file.

register_name_response: server at IP 208.222.xxx.xxx rejected our name
registration of ISB<00> with error code 6.
my_name_register_failed: Failed to register my name ISB<00> on subnet
UNICAST_SUBNET.
standard_fail_register: Failed to register/refresh name ISB<00> on subnet
UNICAST_SUBNET

Please help me find a solution.  Perhaps the secret lies in 'error code
6'? Also i am sure that i am missing some info out.  Please let me
know if you need it.  This message is already quite long.

Thanks

smb.conf

[global]
; workgroup = NT-Domain-Name or Workgroup-Name, eg: REDHAT4
  	 workgroup = workgroup

; comment is the equivalent of the NT Description field
   	comment = Linux Samba Server
	interfaces = 192.168.5.1/24
;	interfaces = 192.168.5.1/24 208.222.xxx.xxx/32
;	wins support = yes
	wins server = 208.222.xxx.xxx
;	wins proxy = yes
	dns proxy = no
	security = user

; browsing
        domain master = yes
        local master = yes
        preferred master = yes
        os level = 65
;        remote announce = 208.222.xxx.xxx/workgroup
;        remote browse sync = 208.222.xxx.xxx
	domain logons = yes

; Uncomment this if you want a guest account
; 	guest account = pcguest

	log file = /var/log/samba/samba-log.%m
	lock directory = /var/lock
	share modes = yes
;	encrypt passwords = yes
	debug level = 3
        hosts allow = 194.133.xxx.xxx 192.168.5. 208.222.xxx.xxx localhost
	read prediction = yes

   Wajihuddin Ahmed           | EMAIL: wajih.ahmed at isb.worldwerx.com.pk
   WorldWerx, Pakistan        | Ph/Fax: +92-51-282192