Can't get NIS homedir working

Simeon Walker simeon at sbs.bangor.ac.uk
Fri Feb 20 16:50:48 GMT 1998

Charles wrote:

> It is my understanding that you can specify nis homedir = yes in the
> global section, and then when you connect to the [homes] service, Samba
> will "bounce" the user to their actual home server, providing it is also
> running samba.   I am using 1.9.18p3 on all servers.

[snip]

> Why isn't Samba attempting the hand off?   If I try it w/o the path = %p,
> then Samba just uses $HOME and you get the NFS hop.  We have about 20 NFS
> servers so it would be real nice if we could roll out one PC image that
> maps to one home server, and get Samba to pass off the connection to the
> appropriate server as listed in auto.home to avoid the extra hop.
>
> Charles

You have to get the client to connect home directories something
like this:

net use h: /home

The client will then query the logon server, get the home path and
connect directly to that machine.

Simeon

Simeon Walker,                      email: simeon at sbs.bangor.ac.uk
School of Biological Sciences,      phone: +44 (0)1248 351151 x3702
University of Wales, Bangor,        fax: +44 (0)1248 371644
Gwynedd, LL57 2UW, UK.              www: http://sbsweb.bangor.ac.uk/