More on Encrypted passwords

Simon Hyde shyde at poboxes.com
Fri Feb 20 14:25:04 GMT 1998

On Fri, 20 Feb 1998 04:14:57 +1100, you wrote:

>What if I HAVE an smbpasswd file but only one user is listed there.  If an
>unlisted user tries to connect to a samba share will samba go to the
>/etc/passwd file or will it use a guest login?

Nope, I'm afraid not. Whether to use encryption or not is negotiated before
the username, Samba must therefore either reply 'encrypted' or
'unencrypted' without first knowing the username, you can configure it to
guess which type to use by incoming machine names (using the config file=
(or probably include= would do) directive and %m substitution), or setup an
alias for your machine which is used for unencrypted logins (using 'netbios
aliases=' and config file= with the %L substitution). See man smb.conf for
more info on how to do this kind of stuff.

Hope this is of help,

Simon Hyde