Disk free error with big disks (>2Gb?)

marchino at tin.it marchino at tin.it
Thu Feb 19 22:49:21 GMT 1998

Hi everybody!

I've installed Samba 1.9.18p2 on a Linux box using kernel version
2.0.33. This box has two 6.5Gb EIDE disks installed, shared to 10
Windows 95 clients. Asking for disk free on any Win95 gives incorrect
response, about 2.147.000.000 bytes, all free.
It seems that the maximum available number for disks capacity is 2^31
(signed long value?), so larger disks are treated as 2Gb volumes.
I've tried to change the dfree program into our smb.conf, but the
result is the same. I think the problem is coming from the linux box,
because we have a Novell server in the same network with a 3.5 Gb
disk and Windows 95 gives on this disk the correct statistics.

Does Anybody have any clue?

Bye,

marchino at tin.it

marchino