SMBpassword and UNIX password sync?

Tim Winders twinders at SPC.cc.tx.us
Thu Feb 19 17:10:21 GMT 1998

I would like to implement samba encrypted passwords.  I have read the
ENCRYPTION.txt file and see how to create the initial (no access) smbpassd
file from the UNIX /etc/passwd file, but it seems that each user (or root)
then has to change their samba password.  This is not practical for my
uses.

If I understand the encryption scheme then there is no way to initally
read the /etc/passwd file and put THAT password into the smbpasswd file.
So... my question...

Is there anyway to syncronize the /etc/passwd and smbpasswd files such
that when a user changes their UNIX passwd, their smbpasswd will
automatically get created if one does not exist or changed their smbpasswd
if one DOES exist?

I am running Digital Unix 4.0D, no shadow password, no C2.  I am open to
using a different UNIX passwd program if that will help.  Thanks!

|  Tim Winders, CNE              |  Email:  twinders at SPC.cc.tx.us   |
|  Network Administrator         |  Phone:  806-894-9611 x 2369     |
|  South Plains College          |  Fax:    806-897-4711            |