Password required for IPC$

Michael Tibor tibor at lib.uaa.alaska.edu
Thu Feb 19 06:10:45 GMT 1998

I didn't see any responses to the two messages regarding this which I saw
in the last two message digests, so I thought I'd take a crack at it...

I had this problem as well (any connections to Samba server from Win95
client resulted in a prompt for password for IPC$) on a Redhat 4.2 Linux
box running 1.9.18p2.

When I went through /etc/smb.conf, I noticed the following line:

   security = user

This was different from the way I had configured it on my Slackware box
(security = share).  Changing it from user to share security fixed my
problem.

I'm sure there's probably a more correct approach to this problem, but my
solution happened to work fine for the 4 or 5 people who make SMB
connections to my small Linux server.

Mike
--
Mike Tibor        University of Alaska Anchorage    (907) 786-1001 voice
LAN Technician    Consortium Library                (907) 786-6050 fax
http://www.lib.uaa.alaska.edu/~tibor/    mailto:tibor at lib.uaa.alaska.edu
Finger tibor at asimov.lib.uaa.alaska.edu for PGP public key