Netscape profile in user home directory

Peter Debus pdebus at turing.une.edu.au
Wed Feb 18 22:40:54 GMT 1998

> 	Does anyone know if there is any way of saving the Netscape
> portion of keys on the registry above HKeyLocalMachine on a samba
> drive. I would like that if a user created a profile in NEtscape 4.0
> via User Profile Manager in one machine in our lab, he/she would
> see that profile already created when he/she logged in on another
> machine in the lab.
>
> 	I know that the HKCU portion of the registry goes to the
> USER.DAT file on the user's home directory. But settings like e-mail
> address, etc., don't go to USER.DAT (since they're in HKLM keys).

Export the Netscape portion of the registry to a .reg file. Edit the file
and replace any reference to user name/e-mail etc with some tag,
	eg: ##username## ##email##.
This file is used as a master template. Run a "preexec" script for
[homes] share that copies the master template .reg file to users home
directory, replacing the tags with user name and e-mail etc . You can then
import the user's registry file in the user's login script. I also use
this script to create the netscape user mail directory and mail preferences
if they do not aleady exist in user's home directory.

It's a bit of a hack, if anyone knows a cleaner solution I would love to hear
it.

Peter Debus
Computer Systems Administrator
School of Mathematical Computer Sciences
University of New England
Armidale NSW
Australia

Ph: 61 (0)267 73 2412 Fax: 61 (0)267 73 3312