Problem with NT and samba

Hongwei Li hongwei at morpheus.wustl.edu
Wed Feb 18 22:23:44 GMT 1998

Hi,

I have samba 1.9.17p4 on my Linux box (2.0.33), many Windows NT workstation
4.0, and a Windows NT server 4.0.  My NT server has service pack3 and I set
plain text password for it.
If I set 'security=user' in my smb.conf, NT users can not browse any samba
drives on Linux.  I tried many different ways, and eventually found that
ONLY 'security=server' AND 'password server=xxx', where xxx is the name of
my NT server, can work.  (That is, if I use my Linux box as xxx, it does not
work.)  It is okay if it does not show any problem.  However, from time to
time (once or twice a week or so) NT users still have trouble to mount samba
drives.  The log files show something like:

switch message SMBsesssetupX (pid 16776)
Domain=[MyDoanName]  NativeOS=[Windows NT 1381] NativeLanMan=[]
sesssetupX:name=[hongwei]
password server MyNTserverName rejected the password
02/18/98 14:32:11 error packet at line 537 cmd=115 (SMBsesssetupX) eclass=2
ecode=
2
02/18/98 14:32:19 Transaction 11 of length 166

no matter how correctly I type my user name and password.  I use the same
password on Linux box and NT server.   Then, I found if I kill smbd and nmbd
on samba server, and restart smbd and nmbd, I can immediately mount samba
drives without any problem -- I did not touch the NT server.   Does anybody
have similar experience?  What is the actual reason for that?  What is the
best way to let samba run smoothly?

I appreciate any information and help!

Hongwei Li